Thrive with new professional challenges.
BESTECH is a trusted team of engineering and project delivery professionals. Recognized as a leader in innovation and as a Top Employer based in northern Ontario, we are committed to sustainable growth through client service excellence and market diversification.
The IT/Network Administrator ensures the stable operation of networks, computer systems, and peripherals, including installation, configuration, maintenance, support, and optimization. The administrator will also provide technical assistance, direction, and training across various system environments.
We are seeking a motivated self-starter, with excellent interpersonal and communication skills (verbal and written). The successful candidate will be customer service-oriented with the ability to work under pressure while maintaining a positive attitude.
Our ideal candidate is also well-organized and has the confidence and experience to solve technical issues quickly and independently. The IT/Network Administrator is expected to provide these services with a high-level of technical competency.
This position is also part of an on-call rotation. During the on-call period, the successful applicant will respond to client requests and urgent server alerts.
- Provide Service Desk support to users via phone, email, or in-person and, perform post-resolution follow-ups to help desk requests.
- Diagnose, troubleshoot, and resolve hardware, software, or other network and system problems, and replace defective components.
- Maintain and administer computer networks and related computing environments including computer hardware, systems software, applications software, and all configurations.
- Monitor all backups, maintaining data on-site and off-site as determined by BESTECH and client requirements, and perform regular tests.
- Amend current policies and develop new policies for the IT function, as required.
- Develop and adhere to IT standards, and standard operating procedures to maintain BESTECH’s IT and client compliance requirements.
- Manage IT projects by understanding project objectives and scope, following project milestones, sharing technical expertise, and providing recommendations.
- Perform network maintenance and system upgrades including services packs, patches, firmware, hot fixes and security configurations.
- Manage configuration and installations to various network devices and services (e.g., routers, switches, firewall, VPN, QoS).
- Ensure network connectivity of all systems including workstations, servers, printers, and other devices.
- Administer all network equipment, hardware, and software upgrades; escalate issues as required; and work with high-level managers to identify effective solutions and develop long-term IT strategies.
- Provide on-call support, as required; comfortable working at client sites; provide technical consulting and advice to clients as requested.
- Thoroughly test new applications and develop employee training.
- As with any position with BESTECH, the IT/Network Administrator is responsible for adhering to company policies and procedures, maintaining a safe operating environment, and may also have other duties assigned as required.
Skills & Requirements
- Degree or diploma in IT field.
- Minimum (5) years of hands-on experience with network & system capacity planning, security principles, and general management best practices in a medium to large enterprise environment.
- Strong, hands-on technical knowledge of network and server operating systems, including Cisco IOS, Active Directory, Windows Server & VMWare.
- Working technical knowledge of current network hardware, protocols, and standards, including VOIP, LAN, WAN and WLAN.
- Creativity/Innovation: Develop new and unique ways to improve operations of the organization and to create new opportunities.
- Ability to understand complex business processes and communicate them effectively to others.
- Knowledge of various software – including Microsoft Office, Visio, SQL, Office 365, Dynamics 365, Autodesk, Bentley, Skype for Business, Exchange.
- Demonstrated communication, problem-solving, troubleshooting, and time management skills.
- Must be able to work independently, and in a team environment to meet deadlines and project deliverables.
- Strong documentation skills and experience creating procedures, topology diagrams, installation scopes, and workflows.
- Must possess a valid Ontario Driver’s License and reliable transportation.
- Industry-recognized accreditation e.g. CCNA, Network+, Microsoft, etc.
- Experience integrating cloud-based services.
- Hands-on experience in a multivendor switching and routing environment.
- Demonstrated data centre design and implementation experience.