Thrive with new professional challenges.
BESTECH is a trusted team of engineering and project delivery professionals. Recognized as a leader in innovation and as a Top Employer based in northern Ontario, we are committed to sustainable growth through client service excellence and market diversification.
The Automation Specialist is responsible to execute, coordinate and expedite a succession of different automation projects. Working independently in planning and carrying out project steps that require the application of mature automation knowledge, you assist in the development of new project specifications, as well as the production and testing of new products related to PLC / DCS / HMI programming.
Other major responsibilities include system commissioning, troubleshooting issues, identifying trends, process monitoring, documentation updates, data querying, operator training and participating in deviation investigations, which also involves designing, implementing, testing, and closing out change controls for automation related corrective actions and continuous improvement initiatives. You are capable of clearly communicating (oral and in writing) with operations personnel and support groups and provide off-site weekend/evening automation phone or on-site support.
Your Role as Automation Specialist
- Maintain a safe operating environment.
- Ensure projects meet the requirements of industry standards and regulations and work within established company, client and industry policies and procedures.
- Prepare project estimates and scope of work documents.
- Prepare functional descriptions.
- Interpret logic diagrams.
- Interpret electrical and instrumentation drawings.
- Develop and review PLC / DCS / HMI programs.
- Commission on-site as well as off-site as required.
- Prepare and deliver operator training sessions and courseware.
- Build strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders to ensure smooth operations and client satisfaction.
- Strive to find safer ways for customers to work with BESTECH products.
What YOU Bring to the Team
- College diploma in engineering technology or bachelor’s degree in engineering.
- Minimum (5) years of experience in automation with strong knowledge of automation technology and automation products.
- Registration to a professional organization such as PEO or OACETT is considered an asset.
- Demonstrated experience in designing, configuring, building, and testing operator interfaces (HMI/GUIs).
- Demonstrated programming experience (PLCs and DCS).
- Strong organizational, problem solving, analytical and computer skills.
- Knowledge of mining-related processes is considered an asset.
- Self-motivated and driven to achieve client satisfaction targets.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment to meet tight deadlines.
- Valid driver’s licence with access to a personal vehicle and the ability to travel to and from sites as required.
- Interested in a supportive, engaging consulting engineering culture.
- Flexibility and ability to work in a virtual environment when necessary.