Thrive with new professional challenges.
BESTECH is a trusted team of engineering and project delivery professionals. Recognized as a leader in innovation and as a Top Employer based in northern Ontario, we are committed to sustainable growth through client service excellence and market diversification.
BESTECH is an innovative multi-disciplinary engineering firm that partners with clients to deliver exceptional results. Indeed, we are a “Partner of Choice” with our clients, our community, and our team.
We work with a range of mining clients, delivering solutions across many engineering disciplines. In fact, we know mining. Our expert team has deep mining roots and is leading the charge toward Mining 4.0. Our language includes agile, lean, scrum, and adaptive. We plan the mines of the future today, using our Whole Mine™ approach.
BESTECH uses customized, innovative processes for cost-effective, fit-for-purpose solutions. Our designs result in mines that are faster to build, more economic to operate and easier to fund, compared to old school firms. We design mines to be safe, efficient, and profitable — this is why our mining clients chose to work together with us.
In our communities, BESTECH is humble and proud to be recognized with awards for innovation, economic development, and community contributions. As an Employer of Distinction in Ontario, we are passionate about our people and offer exciting, rewarding careers.
Join Our Canadian Mining Engineering Team
Our Manager, Mine Engineering Services is the leader of the mining team with responsibility to execute our Business Plan and embrace The Whole Mine™ movement. Download the White Paper at (https://www.bestech.com/services/mining-engineering/). The expectation is they will split their time between managerial responsibilities and project/technical work.
Reporting to the President, the successful candidate is accountable for the management and technical aspects of the mining engineering team, from concepts to the mine closure. The mining team delivers strategic, tactical, and operational studies, along with technical, financial, and social solutions to our clients.
- Grow the Mine Engineering Services business with new and existing clients.
- Grow the Mine Engineering Services team to support the business.
- Lead, coach, and mentor the Mining Team.
- Prepare and contribute to internal annual company budgets.
- Support and assist the growth of our other companies within the Inovinta Group of Companies.
- Manage relationships with clients.
- Promote and support BESTECH’S core values and culture.
- Demonstrate a “Safety First” focus and act as a role model to others.
- Embrace technology and innovation for progressive and transformational solutions.
- Act as Qualified Person for Technical Reports under NI 43-101 regulations.
- Attend conferences and workshops to promote work success and to learn from others, about current mining industry trends, processes, equipment, and innovations.
- Manage and coordinate mining engineering projects with other engineering disciplines.
- Ensure projects meet the requirements of industry standards, best practices, and regulations, and work within established company and industry policies and procedures.
- Manage projects and coordinate project team activities.
- Prepare and contribute to client proposals and project budgets.
- Assess and evaluate mine locations, site layouts, mine plans, processing plans, commercial advantages, and sustainability requirements to manage and optimize value extraction for surface and underground deposits.
- Write reports for mining projects (scoping, prefeasibility, feasibility studies and detailed engineering).
- Develop designs and plans for a variety of underground mining methods, mine infrastructure, geotechnical, backfill, ventilation systems, material movement, and mining services (i.e. water, dewatering, air, power, communications, etc.).
- Develop designs and plans for a variety of surface mining designs, pit shells, infrastructure, geotechnical, material movement, scheduling, costing, and mining services (i.e. sediment ponds, water control, power, communications, instrumentation, etc.).
- Oversee the preparation of mining engineering drawings and 3D designs.
- Develop operating and capital cost estimations.
- Prepare productivity calculations and mining equipment specifications.
- Recommend selection of “fit for purpose” mining equipment and life cycle studies.
- Develop end-of-life closure and remediation plans.
- Review third-party technical documents and provide recommendations.
Personal Qualifications, Skills & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Mine Engineering, or related engineering discipline from an accredited University, and a minimum (10) years’ engineering experience in mining operations or consulting engineering, OR
- Master’s Degree in Mine Engineering, or related engineering or geosciences discipline from an accredited University, and a minimum (8) years’ experience in mining operations or consulting engineering.
- Professional Engineering license or eligible for registering as a professional engineer.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of mining and mining engineering applications in underground and surface mining environments.
- Skills in researching, analyzing, and communicating complex information and developing appropriate conclusions and action plans.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite and mine design/planning software and scheduling.
- Possess strong interpersonal and communication skills, with client relationship management experience.
- Fluent in English and fluency in other languages is an asset.
- Solid team participant and ability to lead.
- Valid driver’s licence with access to a personal vehicle.
- Willingness to travel and to go on site.
- Interested in a supportive, engaging consulting engineering culture.
- Flexibility and ability to work from home or office in a virtual environment.