Thrive with new professional challenges.
BESTECH is a trusted team of engineering and project delivery professionals. Recognized as a leader in innovation and as a Top Employer based in northern Ontario, we are committed to sustainable growth through client service excellence and market diversification.
We work with a range of mining clients, delivering solutions across many engineering disciplines. In fact, we know mining. Our expert team has deep mining roots and is leading the charge toward Mining 4.0. Our language includes agile, lean, scrum, and adaptive. We plan the mines of the future today, using our Whole Mine™ approach.
BESTECH uses customized, innovative processes for cost-effective, fit-for-purpose solutions. Our designs result in mines that are faster to build, more economic to operate and easier to fund, compared to old school firms. We design mines to be safe, efficient, and profitable — this is why our mining clients chose to work together with us.
In the community, BESTECH is humble and proud to be recognized with awards for innovation, economic development, and community contributions. As an Employer of Distinction in Ontario, we are passionate about our people and offer exciting, rewarding careers.
Our Mining Engineer is a self-starter in the mining team with responsibility for engineering work, contributing to the mining studies. The successful candidate will design, layout and schedule mines (underground and surface) considering methods, infrastructure, geotechnical, and specialty functions such as ventilation, backfill systems and mining services in underground mines. Designs to consider technical, financial, and social aspects along with innovative technologies and processes.
- Promote and support BESTECH’S core values and culture;
- Demonstrate a “Safety First” focus and act as a role model to others;
- Forward thinking and embracing of technology and innovation for progressive solutions;
- Develop annual and life of mine forecasts including mine plans, mine designs, schedules, and production forecasts using computer applications requested by clients;
- Integrate sustaining capital projects for infrastructure construction and maintenance into mine plans and schedules;
- Prepare mining engineering drawings and 3D designs;
- Contribute to operating and capital cost estimations;
- Prepare productivity calculations and mining equipment specifications;
- Assist in developing life-of-mine production, cost, and revenue profiles;
- Contribute to client proposals and project budgets;
- Attend conferences and workshops to promote own/team work and learn from others;
- Assist with business development by identifying and sharing new opportunities;
- Other duties as assigned.
Personal Qualifications, Skills & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mining or Geological Engineering from an accredited university;
- Minimum (3) years of mining experience as consulting engineer, or a technical services role within a mining company;
- EIT or Professional Engineering designation or be eligible to registered as an EIT or professional engineer;
- Consideration given to candidates with 1) Technical Diploma from an accredited institution; 2) Membership in OACETT with C.E.T. or C.Tech. certification; and 3) Appropriate amount of relevant experience;
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of mining and mining engineering applications in underground and surface mining environments;
- Skills in researching, analyzing and communicating information and developing appropriate conclusions and action plans;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite and mine design/planning software;
- Experience in other mining aspects such as geology, mining operations, mine design, metallurgy, environmental reclamation;
- Knowledge of specific software and design approaches for geotechnical, ventilation and backfill, material movement simulations, and benching;
- Possess strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- Fluent in English and fluency in other languages is an asset;
- Solid team participant and ability to take the lead, when required;
- Valid driver’s licence with access to a personal vehicle;
- Willingness to travel and go on site;
- Interested in a supportive, engaging consulting engineering culture;
- Flexibility and ability to work from home in a virtual environment.