Thrive with new professional challenges.
BESTECH is a trusted team of engineering and project delivery professionals. Recognized as a leader in innovation and as a Top Employer based in northern Ontario, we are committed to sustainable growth through client service excellence and market diversification.
The Principal Mechanical Engineer, P.Eng. is an industry recognized leader in their discipline and is sought for their technical expertise. This leads to a natural acumen for business development in growing the mechanical engineering portfolio in both the types of work and the clients for which the services are offered.
As an expert in your field, you play a leadership role within a multi-discipline team to guide and mentor more junior employees while providing mechanical engineering design for detailed engineering projects. You are also responsible for leading design activities, maintaining project schedules and ensuring successful project completion.
Other responsibilities include reviewing project documents and drawings for technical quality and accuracy. You will utilize your mechanical design expertise, act as a resource for industry codes, standards, and construction methods, and contribute to the expansion of the existing Mechanical team and practice at BESTECH.
Your Role as a Principal Mechanical Engineer, P.Eng.
- Minimum 15-years of relevant mechanical engineering experience in an engineering or project management role with a technical firm.
- Provide subject matter technical engineering expertise, supporting the business, including reviewing technical work of others in the team.
- Work in collaboration with Sales and Marketing on business development initiatives to maintain, nurture, and develop relationships with new and existing clients.
- Make presentations and help develop proposals and outreach, using the required resources for support.
- Solid client relationship management experience.
- Knowledge, experience, and recognition in the mining industry is a definite asset.
- Coach and mentor junior team members and contribute to the growth and development of the Mechanical team.
- Extensive knowledge in Ontario and Canadian engineering standards, codes, and guidelines with strong industrial experience. Experience in engineering design for surface and underground mining operations is a strong asset.
- Demonstrated ability to collect and compile operational data and prepare scopes of work, estimates, schedules, budgets, specifications, and reports.
- Ability to prepare and interpret engineering designs, isometric drawings, P&IDs, mechanical details, layouts, and other visual aids.
- Able to ensure that all designs will maintain a safe operating environment.
- Extensive computer knowledge in industry applications, including Microsoft Office, Microsoft Project, AutoCAD, MicroStation and other specialized mechanical design platforms.
- Must have strong numerical ability and reasoning skills.
- Able to take the mechanical lead on a large range of project sizes.
- Must have strong project management skills and experience in leading projects.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills, with exceptional report writing skills.
- Demonstrated analytical, problem-solving, conflict resolution, decision-making, and time management skills.
- Effectively liaise with other engineers, specialists, EITs, designers and project managers to ensure client needs are met.
- Able to work independently and in a team environment to meet tight deadlines.
- Self-motivated and driven to achieve client satisfaction targets.
- Willingness to travel, if required, and attend meetings and field visits on client sites.
- Interested in a supportive, engaging consulting engineering culture.
- Fluent in English (written and oral).
Your Education and Licence
- University degree in mechanical engineering.
- Professional engineering licence or eligible for registering as a professional engineer in Ontario.
- Valid driver’s licence with access to a personal vehicle.
Why Join the BESTECH Team?
We provide our employees with opportunities to grow and succeed professionally and personally. As a growing organization, we still get excited about partnering with new professionals joining our team, along with the unique knowledge, skill set, and experiences each bring to our team! Whether you’re a student, a recent graduate, or an experienced professional, we would love to chat about YOUR future with BESTECH.
Considering Greater Sudbury?
Greater Sudbury is known as an amazing place to live, work, and play! As the capital of Northern Ontario, Greater Sudbury sits at the crossroads of the great outdoors and city culture – the perfect mix of tranquility and amenities!
Spanning more than 4,000 square kilometres, there are more than 200 kilometres of hiking trails ready to explore! Residents fish, canoe, kayak, swim, skate, play hockey, and enjoy nature year-round.
We also have a range of religious, recreational, and professional associations and communities that help newcomers get to know the city, its culture, and its people.
Greater Sudbury would not be as vibrant and diverse without its two neighbouring First Nation communities and our Francophone population. New residents and visitors often describe Sudbury as offering a “true Canadian experience” because of its cultural mix, heritage, and diversity.