Thrive with new professional challenges.
BESTECH is a trusted team of engineering and project delivery professionals. Recognized as a leader in innovation and as a Top Employer based in northern Ontario, we are committed to sustainable growth through client service excellence and market diversification.
The Principal Mechanical Engineer, P.Eng. is an industry recognized leader in their discipline and is sought for their technical expertise. This leads to a natural acumen for business development in growing the mechanical engineering portfolio in both the types of work and the clients for which the services are offered.
As an expert in your field, you play a leadership role within a multi-discipline team to guide and mentor more junior employees while providing mechanical engineering design for detailed engineering projects. You are also responsible for leading design activities, maintaining project schedules and ensuring successful project completion.
Other responsibilities include reviewing project documents and drawings for technical quality and accuracy. You will utilize your mechanical design expertise, act as a resource for industry codes, standards, and construction methods, and contribute to the expansion of the existing Mechanical team and practice at BESTECH.
This position reports to the Manager, Technical Expertise Centre.
Your Role as a Principal Mechanical Engineer, P.Eng.
- University degree in mechanical engineering and licensed as a professional engineer in the province of Ontario.
- Minimum 15-years of relevant mechanical engineering experience.
- Provide subject matter technical engineering expertise, supporting the business, including reviewing technical work of others in the team.
- Work in collaboration with Sales and Marketing on business development initiatives to maintain, nurture, and develop relationships with new and existing clients.
- Make presentations and help develop proposals and outreach, using the required resources for support.
- Solid client relationship management experience.
- Knowledge, experience, and recognition in the mining industry is a definite asset.
- Coach and mentor junior team members and contribute to the growth and development of the Mechanical team.
- Extensive knowledge in engineering standards, codes, and guidelines with strong industrial experience. Experience in engineering design for surface and underground mining operations is a strong asset.
- Demonstrated ability to collect and compile operational data and prepare scopes of work, estimates, schedules, budgets, specifications, and reports.
- Ability to prepare and interpret engineering designs, isometric drawings, P&IDs, mechanical details, layouts, and other visual aids.
- Able to ensure that all designs will maintain a safe operating environment.
- Extensive computer knowledge in industry applications, including Microsoft Office, Microsoft Project, AutoCAD, MicroStation and other specialized mechanical design platforms.
- Must have strong numerical ability and reasoning skills.
- Able to take the mechanical lead on a large range of project sizes.
- Must have strong project management skills and experience in leading projects.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills, with exceptional report writing skills.
- Demonstrated analytical, problem-solving, conflict resolution, decision-making, and time management skills.
- Effectively liaise with other engineers, specialists, EITs, designers and project managers to ensure client needs are met.
- Able to work independently and in a team environment to meet tight deadlines.
- Self-motivated and driven to achieve client satisfaction targets.
- Willingness to travel, if required, and attend meetings and field visits on client sites.
- Interested in a supportive, engaging consulting engineering culture.
- Fluent in English (written and oral).