Thrive with new professional challenges.
BESTECH is a trusted team of engineering and project delivery professionals. Recognized as a leader in innovation and as a Top Employer based in northern Ontario, we are committed to sustainable growth through client service excellence and market diversification.
We work with a range of mining clients, delivering solutions across many engineering disciplines. In fact, we know mining. Our expert team has deep mining roots and is leading the charge toward Mining 4.0. Our language includes agile, lean, scrum, and adaptive. We plan the mines of the future today, using our Whole Mine™ approach.
BESTECH uses customized, innovative processes for cost-effective, fit-for-purpose solutions. Our designs result in mines that are faster to build, more economic to operate and easier to fund, compared to old school firms. We design mines to be safe, efficient, and profitable — this is why our mining clients chose to work together with us.
In the community, BESTECH is humble and proud to be recognized with awards for innovation, economic development, and community contributions. As an Employer of Distinction in Ontario, we are passionate about our people and offer exciting, rewarding careers.
Our Senior Mining Engineer is a leader in the mining team with responsibility for engineering work, from concepts to the mine closure phase. The Senior Engineer plans, manages, and completes strategic, tactical, and operational studies, with excellent technical, financial, and social solutions for our clients. The Senior Engineer provides oversight of the work done by junior mining engineers.
- Promote and support BESTECH’S core values and culture;
- Demonstrate a “Safety First” focus and act as a role model to others;
- Embrace technology and innovation for progressive solutions;
- Assess and evaluate mine locations, site layouts, mine plans, processing plans, commercial advantages and sustainability requirements to manage and optimize value extraction for surface and underground deposits;
- Write reports for mining projects (scoping, prefeasibility, feasibility studies and detailed engineering);
- Act as Qualified Person for Technical Reports under NI 43-101 regulations;
- Develop designs and plans for a variety of underground mining methods, mine infrastructure, geotechnical, backfill, ventilation systems, material movement, and mining services (i.e. water, dewatering, air, power, communications, etc.);
- Develop designs and plans for a variety of surface mining designs, pit shells, infrastructure, geotechnical, material movement, scheduling, costing, and mining services (i.e. sediment ponds, water control, power, communications, instrumentation, etc.);
- Oversee the preparation of mining engineering drawings and 3D designs;
- Develop operating and capital cost estimations;
- Prepare productivity calculations and mining equipment specifications;
- Recommend selection of “fit for purpose” mining equipment and life-cycle studies;
- Develop end-of-life closure and remediation plans;
- Manage and coordinate mining engineering projects with other engineering disciplines;
- Review third-party technical documents and provide recommendations.
- Ensure projects meet the requirements of industry standards, best practices, and regulations, and work within established company and industry policies and procedures;
- Manage projects and coordinate project team activities;
- Assist with the business process by identifying, developing and following through on new business opportunities within BESTECH;
- Prepare and contribute to client proposals and project budgets;
- Attend conferences and workshops to promote work success and to learn from others; about current mining industry trends, processes, equipment, and innovations;
- Provide leadership, coaching, and mentoring to others.
Personal Qualifications, Skills & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Mine Engineering, or related engineering discipline from an accredited university, and a minimum (8) years’ engineering experience in mining operations or consulting engineering, OR
- Master’s Degree in Mine Engineering, or related engineering or geosciences discipline from an accredited University, and a minimum (5) years’ experience in mining operations or consulting engineering;
- Professional Engineering licence or eligible for registering as a professional engineer;
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of mining and mining engineering applications in underground and surface mining environments;
- Skills in researching, analyzing and communicating complex information and developing appropriate conclusions and action plans;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite and mine design/planning software and scheduling;
- Possess strong interpersonal and communication skills, with client relationship management experience;
- Fluent in English and fluency in other languages is an asset;
- Solid team participant and ability to take the lead, when required;
- Valid driver’s licence with access to a personal vehicle;
- Willingness to travel and to go on site;
- Interested in a supportive, engaging consulting engineering culture;
- Flexibility and ability to work from home in a virtual environment.