Thrive with new professional challenges.
BESTECH is a trusted team of engineering and project delivery professionals. Recognized as a leader in innovation and as a Top Employer based in northern Ontario, we are committed to sustainable growth through client service excellence and market diversification.
Join Our Canadian Mining Engineering Services Team
The BESTECH Mining Engineering Services (MES) group comprises a specialized team of industry experts with experience in a wide range of technical and unique areas of mine design.
The MES team works to assist clients by filling knowledge and experience gaps to successfully develop long-term plans through a holistic approach to innovative solutions for both underground and open-pit mining operations.
BESTECH’s mission is to help our clients plan the mines of the future today, using our Whole Mine™ approach and remain a “Partner of Choice for our industry partners.
While this includes designing safe, efficient, and profitable mines, our clients choose to work with us because of our co-commitment to the communities we work in. It is critical to us that our solutions address the growing demand for responsible, effective operations with low risk to people, communities, and the environment.
BESTECH is proud to have been recognized with awards for innovation, economic development, and community contributions. As an Employer of Distinction in Ontario, we are passionate about our people and offer exciting, rewarding careers.
BESTECH is looking for a dynamic individual to join our diverse mining engineering team.
Your Role as Senior Mining Engineer, P.Eng.
You are a leader in our highly energized mining team with responsibility for engineering work, from concepts to the mine closure phase. You plan, manage, and complete strategic, tactical, and operational studies, with excellent technical, financial, and social solutions for our clients.
What YOU Bring to the Team
- Promote and support BESTECH’S core values and culture.
- Demonstrate a “Safety First” focus and act as a role model to others.
- Embrace technology and innovation for progressive solutions.
- Demonstrate a firm understanding of Deswik CAD (Deswik.CAD) and interactive schedule designs (Deswik.Sched and Deswik.IS) for a variety of underground mining methods. Open pit CAD design experience would be an asset.
- Must have a good understanding of the Deswik Stope Optimizer (Deswik.SO) process to automatically create mineable stope shapes.
- Oversee the preparation of mining engineering drawings and 3D designs.
- Write reports for mining projects (scoping, prefeasibility, feasibility studies and detailed engineering).
- Assess and evaluate mine locations, site layouts, mine plans, processing plans, commercial advantages, and sustainability requirements to manage and optimize value extraction for surface and underground deposits.
- Act as Qualified Person for Technical Reports under NI 43-101 regulations.
- Assist with the development of designs and plans for a variety of underground mining methods, mine infrastructure, geotechnical, backfill, ventilation systems, material movement, and mining services (i.e., water, dewatering, air, power, communications, etc.).
- Determine operating and capital cost estimations.
- Prepare productivity calculations and mining equipment specifications.
- Recommend selection of “fit for purpose” mining equipment and supporting life-cycle studies.
- Develop end-of-life closure and remediation plans.
- Manage and coordinate mining engineering projects with other engineering disciplines.
- Review third-party technical documents and provide recommendations.
- Ensure projects meet the requirements of industry standards, best practices, and regulations, and work within established company and industry policies and procedures.
- Manage projects and coordinate project team activities.
- Assist with the business process by identifying, developing, and following through on new business opportunities within BESTECH.
- Prepare and contribute to client proposals and project budgets.
- Attend conferences and workshops to promote work success and to learn from others, about current mining industry trends, processes, equipment, and innovations.
- Provide leadership, coaching, and mentoring through personal qualifications, skills, and experience.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of mining and mining engineering applications in underground and surface mining environments.
- Skills in researching, analyzing, and communicating complex information and developing appropriate conclusions and action plans.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite including Microsoft Project.
- Possess strong interpersonal and communication skills, with client relationship management experience.
- Fluent in English and fluency in other languages is an asset.
- Solid team participant and ability to take the lead, when required.
- Valid driver’s licence with access to a personal vehicle.
- Willingness to travel and to go on site on occasion.
- Interested in a supportive, engaging consulting engineering culture.
- Flexibility and ability to work in a virtual environment when necessary.
Your Education and Licence
- A bachelor’s degree in mining engineering, or related engineering discipline from an accredited university, with minimum (8) years’ engineering experience in mining operations or consulting engineering; OR a master’s degree in mining engineering, or related engineering or geosciences discipline from an accredited university, and a minimum (5) years’ experience in mining operations or consulting engineering.
- Professional engineering licence or eligible for registering as a professional engineer in Ontario.