Greater Sudbury - Ontario
Principal Automation Engineer, P.Eng
Principal Automation Engineers are industry-recognized leaders in their discipline and are sought for their technical expertise. Outside of expertise, Principal Engineers’ natural acumen for business development assists in growing the Automation portfolio and diversifying our client base.
As an expert in automation engineering, you will have a leadership role in BESTECH's multi-disciplinary team. You will provide PLC/DCS/HMI expertise for automation projects as well as lead design, programming, and commissioning activities, maintain project schedules and ensure successful project completion.
Additionally, you will guide and mentor more junior employees and act as a resource for industry codes, standards, and construction methods.
Your Role as a Principal Automation Engineer, P.Eng.
- Minimum 15 years of experience in an automation role with a technical firm.
- Have a diverse set of personal and professional contacts which you will leverage to help maintain and grow our pipeline and client base.
- Provide subject matter technical expertise, supporting the business, including reviewing technical work of others in the team.
- Work in collaboration with Sales and Marketing on business development initiatives to maintain, nurture, and develop relationships with new and existing clients.
- Solid client relationship management experience.
- Leadership and Project Management experience is essential.
- Knowledge, experience, and recognition in the Canadian mining industry is a definite asset but all mining industry recognition will be acknowledged.
- Coach and mentor junior team members and contribute to the growth and development of the Automation team.
- Extensive knowledge in Ontario and Canadian engineering standards, codes, and guidelines with strong industrial experience.
- Extensive knowledge in automation technology and automation products including new and legacy PLC and SCADA systems including, but not limited to:
- Schneider Control Expert
- Schneider Process Expert
- Aveva Solutions (formerly Wonderware)
- RS Logix 5000 and/or Studio 5000
- Factory Talk Design Studio
- Foxboro Galaxy
- Foxboro FoxDraw
- Emerson Delta V
- PI historian
- Experience in specifying new automated systems for green field mines and mining plants considered an asset.
- Extensive knowledge in commissioning of large systems a critical requirement.
- Sound understanding of design engineering codes and technical standards.
- Extensive computer knowledge in industry applications, including Microsoft Office, Microsoft Project, and other specialized automation programming platforms.
- Knowledge of electrical, instrumentation and mechanical type systems.
- Demonstrated ability to collect and compile operational data and prepare scopes of work, estimates, schedules, budgets, specifications, and reports.
- Able to ensure that all designs will maintain a safe operating environment.
- Must have strong numerical ability and reasoning skills.
- Able to take the automation lead on a large range of project sizes.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills, with exceptional report writing skills.
- Demonstrated analytical, problem-solving, conflict resolution, decision-making, and time management skills.
- Effectively liaise with other engineers, specialists, EITs, designers and project managers to ensure client needs are met.
- Able to work independently and in a team environment to meet tight deadlines.
- Self-motivated and driven to achieve client satisfaction targets.
- Willingness to travel as required and attend meetings and field visits on client sites.
- Interested in a supportive, engaging consulting engineering culture.
- Fluent in English (written and oral).
Your Education and Licence
- University degree in engineering or related discipline (preferred: electrical, mechatronics, or software engineering).
- Professional engineering licence or eligible for registering as a professional engineer in Ontario.
- Valid driver’s licence with access to a personal vehicle.
Do you possess a great attitude, a passion for knowledge sharing, and a willingness to grow as a professional? BESTECH is looking for you! As a growing organization, we get excited about partnering with new professionals joining our team and learning from everyone’s unique knowledge, skill set, and experiences!
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, group employee benefits, contributions to RRSPs, and paid professional development. We are committed to fostering a progressive work environment with flexible working arrangements and an equitable and balanced life/work approach.
At BESTECH, we’re passionate about equipping our employees to succeed both professionally and personally. If you’re excited about embarking on a new career journey with us, apply today! We welcome applications from all qualified individuals and are committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace. Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. Contact Human Resources at (705) 675-7720 for further information; apply today, and let us be your Partner of Choice!