Greater Sudbury - Ontario
Principal Mechanical Engineer, P.Eng
BESTECH is an innovative multi-disciplinary engineering services firm that partners with clients to deliver results that exceed expectations. To us, partnership means we engage in relationships with our team, our clients, and our community.
Founded in 1995, BESTECH works with many of the largest mining and industrial clients in the world, achieving success across many engineering disciplines. BESTECH has a track record and passion for working with clients who need simple and innovative solutions to make their operations more efficient and profitable. That is why global mining and industrial clients have chosen to work with us for more than 25 years.
Our team of dedicated professionals works collaboratively to deliver high-quality and reliable solutions that meet the evolving needs of our clients. We pride ourselves on fostering a culture of innovation, safety, and excellence. As we continue to expand our operations and undertake challenging projects, we are seeking a talented intermediate structural engineer to join our dynamic team.
In the community, BESTECH is humble and proud to be recognized with awards for innovation, economic development, and community contributions. As an Employer of Distinction in Ontario, we are passionate about our people and offer exciting, rewarding careers.
Your Role as Principal Mechanical Engineer, P.Eng.
The Principal Mechanical Engineer, P.Eng. is an industry-recognized leader in their discipline and is sought for their technical expertise. This leads to a natural acumen for business development in growing the mechanical engineering portfolio in both the types of work and the clients for which the services are offered.
As an expert in your field, you play a leadership role within a multi-discipline team to guide and mentor more junior employees while providing mechanical engineering design for detailed engineering projects. You are also responsible for leading design activities, maintaining project schedules and ensuring successful project completion.
Other responsibilities include reviewing project documents and drawings for technical quality and accuracy. You will utilize your mechanical design expertise, act as a resource for industry codes, standards, and construction methods, and contribute to the expansion of the existing Mechanical team and practice at BESTECH.
Your Key Accountabilities
- Provide subject matter technical engineering expertise, supporting the business, including reviewing technical work of others in the team.
- Work in collaboration with Sales and Marketing on business development initiatives to maintain, nurture, and develop relationships with new and existing clients.
- Make presentations and help develop proposals and outreach, using the required resources for support.
- Able to ensure that all designs will maintain a safe operating environment.
- Effectively liaise with other engineers, specialists, EITs, designers and project managers to ensure client needs are met.
- Minimum 15-years of relevant mechanical engineering experience in an engineering or project management role with a technical firm.
- University degree in mechanical engineering.
- Professional engineering licence or eligible for registering as a professional engineer in Ontario.
- Solid client relationship management experience.
- Knowledge, experience, and recognition in the mining industry is a definite asset.
- Coach and mentor junior team members and contribute to the growth and development of the Mechanical team.
- Extensive knowledge in engineering standards, codes, and guidelines with strong industrial experience. Experience in engineering design for surface and underground mining operations is a strong asset.
- Demonstrated ability to collect and compile operational data and prepare scopes of work, estimates, schedules, budgets, specifications, and reports.
- Ability to prepare and interpret engineering designs, isometric drawings, P&IDs, mechanical details, layouts, and other visual aids.
- Extensive computer knowledge in industry applications, including Microsoft Office, Microsoft Project, AutoCAD, MicroStation and other specialized mechanical design platforms.
- Must have strong numerical ability and reasoning skills.
- Able to take the mechanical lead on a large range of project sizes.
- Must have strong project management skills and experience in leading projects.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills, with exceptional report writing skills.
- Demonstrated analytical, problem-solving, conflict resolution, decision-making, and time management skills.
- Able to work independently and in a team environment to meet tight deadlines.
- Self-motivated and driven to achieve client satisfaction targets.
- Willingness to travel, if required, and attend meetings and field visits on client sites.
- Interested in a supportive, engaging consulting engineering culture.
- Fluent in English (written and oral).
- Valid driver’s license with access to a personal vehicle.
BESTECH Canada Limited offers a competitive salary and benefits package. We are proud of and continuously thrive to improve our employee culture, and value an equitable and balanced life/work approach.
Why Join the BESTECH Team?
We provide our employees with opportunities to grow and succeed professionally and personally. As a growing organization, we still get excited about partnering with new professionals joining our team, along with the unique knowledge, skill set, and experiences each brings to our team!
Considering moving to Greater Sudbury?
Greater Sudbury is known as an amazing place to live, work, and play! As the capital of Northern Ontario, Greater Sudbury sits at the crossroads of the great outdoors and city culture – the perfect mix of tranquility and amenities!
Spanning more than 4,000 square kilometers, there are more than 200 kilometers of hiking trails ready to explore as well as 330 lakes within the city limits! Residents fish, canoe, kayak, swim, skate, play hockey, and enjoy nature year-round, minutes from their homes.
We also have a range of religious, recreational, and professional associations and communities that help newcomers get to know the city, its culture, and its people.
Greater Sudbury would not be as vibrant and diverse without its two neighboring First Nation communities and our Francophone population. New residents and visitors often describe Sudbury as offering a “true Canadian experience” because of its cultural mix, heritage, and diversity.
We invite applications from all qualified individuals and are committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace. BESTECH offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities throughout its recruitment processes. If you require accommodation during the recruitment process or require an accessible version of our career posting, please contact Human Resources at (705) 675-7720 ext. 288. All responses are appreciated and will be handled with strict confidence. Please be advised that only those applicants who are selected for interviews will be contacted and candidates must be legally entitled to work in Canada.