Greater Sudbury - Ontario
Principal Structural Engineer, P.Eng
Principal Structural Engineers are industry recognized leaders in their discipline and are sought for their technical expertise. This leads to a natural acumen for business development in growing the Structural portfolio in both the types of work and the clients for which the services are offered.
As a Principal Engineer, you will play a pivotal role within BESTECH, and your responsibilities will revolve around three key requirements: i) bringing in new work, ii) focusing on formal employee mentorship, and iii) being seen as a subject matter expert in your field of expertise.
As an expert in structural engineering, you will have a leadership role in BESTECH’s multi-discipline team to guide and mentor more junior employees while providing structural engineering design for detailed engineering projects. You will also be responsible for leading design activities, maintaining project schedules, and ensuring successful project completion.
Other responsibilities include reviewing project documents and drawings for technical quality and accuracy. You will utilize your structural design expertise, act as a resource for industry codes, standards, and construction methods, and contribute to the expansion of the existing Structural team and practice at BESTECH.
The ideal candidate possesses exceptional technical expertise, leadership and business development capabilities, and a strong commitment to delivering innovative and sustainable structural solutions.
Your Key Accountabilities
- Provide subject matter technical engineering expertise, supporting the business, including reviewing technical work of others in the team.
- Collaborate with clients, stakeholders, and team members to develop comprehensive design solutions that meet project requirements and objectives.
- Work in collaboration with Sales and Marketing, and other discipline leads, on business development initiatives to maintain, nurture, and develop relationships with new and existing clients.
- Make presentations and help develop proposals and outreach, using the required resources for support.
- Coach and mentor team members and contribute to the growth and development of the Structural team.
- Develop and review structural engineering calculations, drawings, specifications, and reports, ensuring compliance with applicable codes, standards, and regulations.
- Perform structural analysis using advanced software tools to assess the integrity, stability, and load-bearing capacity of structures.
- Participate in project meetings, coordinating with multidisciplinary teams to address technical challenges, resolve conflicts, and ensure seamless project delivery.
- Stay updated with industry trends, emerging technologies, and advancements in structural engineering practices, applying them to enhance project efficiency and innovation.
- Foster a culture of safety, quality, and continuous improvement within the engineering team, promoting best practices and adherence to industry standards.
- Bachelor’s degree in civil/structural engineering from an accredited university.
- Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) designation in the Province of Ontario. Alternatively, registration as a professional engineer in another Canadian province or territory, who is actively working towards professional registration in Ontario.
- Solid client relationship management experience.
- Leadership and project management experience is essential.
- Minimum of 15 years of structural engineering experience in mining and/or industrial sectors.
- Knowledge, experience, and recognition in the Canadian mining industry is a definite asset but all mining industry recognition will be acknowledged.
- Extensive knowledge in engineering standards, codes, and guidelines with strong industrial experience. Experience in engineering design for surface and underground mining operations is a strong asset.
- Extensive computer knowledge in industry applications, including Microsoft Office, Microsoft Project, and specialized structural design platforms. Familiarity with STAAD.Pro or Robot Structural Analysis is considered an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to collect and compile operational data and prepare scopes of work, designs, estimates, schedules, budgets, specifications, and reports.
- Demonstrated analytical, problem-solving, conflict resolution, decision-making, and time management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to effectively collaborate with multidisciplinary teams and present technical information to clients and stakeholders.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills, including the preparation of technical reports.
- Able to work independently and in a team environment to meet tight deadlines.
- Ability to manage large and complex projects, including managing budgets and schedules.
- Willingness to travel as required and attend meetings and field visits to client sites.
- Valid driver’s license with access to a personal vehicle.
- Interested in a supportive, engaging consulting engineering culture.
- Fluent in English (written and oral).
BESTECH Canada Limited offers a competitive salary and benefits package. We are proud of and continuously thrive to improve our employee culture, and value an equitable and balanced life/work approach. Join our team of talented professionals and contribute to the successful delivery of exceptional structural engineering projects.
We invite applications from all qualified individuals and are committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace. BESTECH offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities throughout its recruitment processes. If you require accommodation during the recruitment process or require an accessible version of our career posting, please contact Human Resources at (705) 675-7720. All responses are appreciated and will be handled with strict confidence. Please be advised that only those applicants who are selected for interviews will be contacted and candidates must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
Why Join the BESTECH Team?
We provide our employees with opportunities to grow and succeed professionally and personally. As a growing organization, we get excited about partnering with new professionals joining our team, along with the unique knowledge, skill set, and experiences each brings to our team!