Thrive with new professional challenges.
BESTECH is a trusted team of engineering and project delivery professionals. Recognized as a leader in innovation and as a Top Employer based in northern Ontario, we are committed to sustainable growth through client service excellence and market diversification.
The Principal Automation Engineer, P.Eng. is an industry recognized leader in their discipline and is sought for their technical expertise. This leads to a natural acumen for business development in growing the Electrical & Instrumentation and Automation engineering portfolio in both, the types of work and the clients for which the services are offered.
As an expert in your field, you play a leadership role within a multi-discipline team to guide and mentor junior employees while providing automation engineering design for detailed engineering projects. You are also responsible for leading design activities, maintaining project schedules and ensuring successful project completion.
Other responsibilities include reviewing project documents and drawings for technical quality and accuracy. You will utilize your automation design expertise, act as a resource for industry codes, standards, and construction methods, and contribute to the expansion of the existing Electrical & Instrumentation and Automation team and practice at BESTECH.
Your Role as a Principal Automation Engineer, P.Eng.
- Minimum 15-years of experience in an engineering or project management role with a technical firm.
- Have a diverse set of personal and professional contacts which you will leverage to help maintain and grow our pipeline and client base.
- Provide subject matter technical engineering expertise, supporting the business, including reviewing technical work of others in the team.
- Work in collaboration with Sales and Marketing on business development initiatives to maintain, nurture, and develop relationships with new and existing clients.
- Make presentations and help develop proposals and outreach, using the required resources for support.
- Solid client relationship management experience.
- Leadership and Project Management experience is essential.
- Knowledge, experience, and recognition in the Canadian mining industry is a definite asset but all mining industry recognition will be acknowledged.
- Coach and mentor junior team members and contribute to the growth and development of the Electrical & Instrumentation and Automation team.
- Extensive knowledge in Ontario and Canadian engineering standards, codes, and guidelines with strong industrial experience.
- Extensive knowledge in automation technology and automation products including new and legacy PLC, Scada, Foxboro and other similar systems an essential requirement.
- Experience in specifying new automate systems for green field mines and mining plants considered an asset.
- Extensive knowledge in commissioning of large systems a critical requirement.
- Sound understanding of design engineering codes and technical standards.
- Extensive computer knowledge in industry applications, including Microsoft Office, Microsoft Project, AutoCAD, MicroStation and other specialized automation design platforms.
- Knowledge of electrical, instrumentation and mechanical type systems.
- Demonstrated ability to collect and compile operational data and prepare scopes of work, estimates, schedules, budgets, specifications, and reports.
- Able to ensure that all designs will maintain a safe operating environment.
- Must have strong numerical ability and reasoning skills.
- Able to take the automation lead on a large range of project sizes.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills, with exceptional report writing skills.
- Demonstrated analytical, problem-solving, conflict resolution, decision-making, and time management skills.
- Fluent in English (written and oral).
Your Education and Licence
- University degree in engineering or related discipline (preferred: electrical, mechatronics, or software engineering).
- Professional engineering licence or eligible for registering as a professional engineer in Ontario.
- Valid driver’s licence with access to a personal vehicle.
Why Join the BESTECH Team?
We provide our employees with opportunities to grow and succeed professionally and personally. As a growing organization, we still get excited about partnering with new professionals joining our team, along with the unique knowledge, skill set, and experiences each bring to our team! Whether you’re a student, a recent graduate, or an experienced professional, we would love to chat about YOUR future with BESTECH.
Considering Greater Sudbury?
Greater Sudbury is known as an amazing place to live, work, and play! As the capital of Northern Ontario, Greater Sudbury sits at the crossroads of the great outdoors and city culture – the perfect mix of tranquility and amenities!
Spanning more than 4,000 square kilometres, there are more than 200 kilometres of hiking trails ready to explore! Residents fish, canoe, kayak, swim, skate, play hockey, and enjoy nature year-round.
We also have a range of religious, recreational, and professional associations and communities that help newcomers get to know the city, its culture, and its people.
Greater Sudbury would not be as vibrant and diverse without its two neighbouring First Nation communities and our Francophone population. New residents and visitors often describe Sudbury as offering a “true Canadian experience” because of its cultural mix, heritage, and diversity.